CONNECTING HEAVEN TO HOME SERIES
Standard of Holy Living
The farmer cannot do what God must do, and God will not do what the farmer should do.
Define Holy living/Holiness (Jerry Bridges The Pursuit of Holiness)
To live a Holy life, then, is to live a life in conformity to the moral precepts of the Bible and in contrast to the sinful ways of the world. It is to live a life characterized by the “[putting] off of your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires … and [putting] on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. (Ephesians 4:22, 24) Being like God.
Why do we not hear about Holy living/Holiness?
1. It’s equated with a _____ of _____ and ______
2. If you’re seeking to practice Holiness you are seen as ______-____-______, ______ _______, the old ______-______.
3. People who call themselves ____________ have no idea what is means to be a _______ ___________
A.W. Tozer says, “Plain horse sense ought to tell us that anything that makes no change in the man who professes it makes no difference to God either, and it is an easily observable fact that for countless numbers of persons the change from no-faith to faith makes no actual difference in the life.”
4. Holy living is simply not _________ ____ or __________ ________.
5. Holy living is ______ _____ _____.
6. We have simply ______ ___. “The truly super-spiritual do not “pursue holiness”; they celebrate their failures as opportunities to magnify the grace of God.” -Kevin Deyoung
Positionally, because of the death and resurrection of Christ we are made Holy. But that’s not a “GRACE CARD”. What Christ did on the cross does not excuse us from striving to live a Holy life.
The word holy in various forms occurs more than 600 times-in the Bible. One entire book, Leviticus, is devoted to the subject, and the idea of holiness is woven elsewhere throughout the fabric of Scripture. More important, God specifically commands us to be holy (see Leviticus 1:44)
Hebrews 12:14, Leviticus 11:45, 1 Peter 1:16, Ephesians 4:24
Paul gives us 4 ways to purse Holy Living:
I. Walk in ______ (2)
1 John 3:16 says, “We know love by this, that He laid down His life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.”
II. Get rid of __________ ________. (3-5)
Ephesians 4:29 Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear.
III. Let no one __________ ____. (6-10)
IV. Not participate in _____________ _______. (11-14)
Wrapping it up
The task of the Christian is to be a Motel 6 “We’ll leave the light on for you”
1. Live ______________ in the Lord
2. Refuse to partner with or participate in _______ ___,
______, ______________ ________, and forms of
3. Perform __________ _______
4. Expose the ___________ for what it is