Today’s Encouraging Word
August 9, 2015
Summer Psalms Series
Worthy of Our Trust
1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
Three Images of God
• God as the (1-3)
• God as a (4)
• God as a (5-6)
• In ancient times, the shepherd was…
God the Good Shepherd (1-3)
• Because the Lord is our shepherd, we don’t lack…
God the Traveling Companion (4)
• “Shadow of death” literally means “ ”
• The deeper our darkness, the God comes to us
God the Gracious Host (5-6)
• In God’s tent, we find and
• No longer will it be his who pursue him, but rather God’s and
Placing Our Trust in God (6)
• Our issue is trust vs.
• We will never be beyond his care
- Romans 8:18, 35-39
• We can trust God, because he is in control, he has the