Today’s Encouraging Word
Pastor Bob Hylton
October 18, 2015
This We Believe Series
New Creation – The Doctrine of the Church
17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.
19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” 20 Then he ordered his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.
42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.
Foundation – Confession – Practice
1. What is the rock? The rock is the church built on the foundational “You are the Messiah, the
of the .”
2. What is the church? The “church” is the or of who confess “ is ” thus belonging to God.
3. What are the characteristics of early church life? They devoted themselves to -
• The mission of through and through
Three Questions for C&T
• Are we united as one in heart and mind?
• Is our conservative devotion to the Word of God leading to a liberal concern for the needs of people?
• Is our community a once-a-week routine or a